Children are the reflection of their parents. What you do as a parent certainly reflects on your kid. The kids tend to pick up bad habits instantly before the good ones. Various studies have found that majority of the learning part takes place in the children with help of observation and imitation.
Parents are the first role model of a child as they have regular presence in their life. Your child will always relate you as an example both in positive and negative sense throughout their life.
Being a good role model requires the best communication skills and positive behavior that becomes example for your children. With self discipline and improvement, you can successfully influence the life of your child. Here’s how you can be the role model of your child:
- Change begins within: If you want your child to adopt good habits then you must act accordingly. Your good habits will reflect on your child as you are his first teacher. Eliminate every bad habit from your life which you don’t want your child to inherit. Drug abuse, alcohol abuse, domestic violence is quite obvious in these habits. Speaking loudly, poor etiquettes, eating too much fast food, ignoring finances may get inherited as well. Accept the things you do in your life. If you have done something wrong, then apologize for that and accept that you made a mistake.
- Speak to them with honesty: We often associate a child’s intellect level to a limit. In fact, we often generalize kids into a single category. However, we need to understand that every child is different and has different needs. The parents need to treat them as individuals to have better communication. This also helps to develop better relationship between the parent and child. If ignored this might create huge generation gap in the upcoming years.
- Mind your tone: No one likes getting yelled or screamed. However, no one either likes talking to a childish voice. Develop an appropriate tone to address your child and stick to that tone no matter what. The tone should be casual enough and non-threatening for the child.
- Inspire and encourage your child: Kids often makes mistakes. They might fail in something or struggle with good grades at the school. But that doesn’t mean you will criticize them for their poor performance. What a parent needs to do is to encourage them to do better in the next time. Try to appreciate what they have achieved so far. Say “thanks” when they have done something for you. A simple token of gratitude can encourage them do better things.
- Listen to them: Often parents don’t listen to the needs of their children. Parents must give importance to the thoughts and feelings of their child. A child might feel neglected if you don’t listen to them. Have their opinions on things, have chats to get to know about them.
- “Love is all they need”: Never get the thought that a harsh upbringing can help you become their role model. You need to understand there’s difference between a “Dictator” and “Leader”. Don’t hesitate to show your affection towards your child. The kid must know that you care for them and they are not left out. This helps building deeper relationship with the child.